From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:16:21 -0600
Subject:        Re: "Natural borders"
Date:   Wed, 09 Nov 2011 17:04:31 -0600
From:   Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Echoing other comments here, and expanding on the fraught definition of
"natural" and "unnatural"

Given that the entities being defined by borders are themselves human
constructs, it might be worth looking at individual state-by-state text
definitions of the borders: are they defined as "a line fron point A to
Point B surveyed at an angle of X° from true north" or "following the
height of land between point A and point B." All boundaries, natural or
unnatural, are based on survey lines which are themselves grounded in
physical landmarks.

The definition of a "natural boundary" is bound up not in its map
representation, but in the legal definition of the boundary itself. An
"unnatural" boundary need not be straight, although that is most
common—cf Delaware's northern boundary, which is an arc section centered
on New Castle. And a "natural boundary" may not necessarily be defined
by an existing physical feature—cf boundaries formed by long-changed
centerlines of the Mississippi River.

Finally, I'd drop coastlines as boundaries altogether. States claim
marine territory, and as often as not this is defined by a straight line
in the middle of a body of water.

Perhaps a better approach would be do distinguish amongst:
- boundaries defined by straight surveyed lines based on an arbitrary grid
- boundaries defined by straight surveyed lines based on physical landmarks
- boundaries defined as following a physically created feature

--
Nat Case, Head of Production
*HEDBERG MAPS, INC.*

hedbergmaps.com <http://www.hedbergmaps.com>