DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:41:40 -0800
Dear Roger and DSSAT user community,

I appreciate your feedback with respect to DSSAT and your comments that
no software is perfect.

DSSAT v4.0 and DSSAT v4.5 (to be released soon) and especially the
XBuild tool for preparing experimental details file were initially
designed to develop experiments similar to what you would conduct under
field conditions. As such, an experiment that has 100+ treatments is
unrealistic. Over time people have started to expand the application of
DSSAT for both seasonal analysis, rotational analysis and spatial
analysis using hypothetical experiments. As such there was a need for
experimental details files that contained more than 100 treatments.
Unfortunately the current bottleneck is the underlying file structure
that has not changed for the past 10 years. We are planning to migrate
DSSAT to Open Source following the release of DSSAT v4.5. We expect a
much larger contribution by the DSSAT user community with respect to the
development of tools and utilities for DSSAT as well as crop model
improvement.

Current fixes for 100+ levels include the following:

- Do NOT use the XBuild tool for complex files. XBuild was developed for
experiments that have less than 100 treatments.
- For advanced users you can use an ASCII editor to build more complex
files but be careful. The current limit is 999 treatments.
- To avoid any data input mistakes I recommend that you develop multiple
FileXs each containing 99 treatments. The current DSSAT shell still has
the capability to analyze ALL your treatments once the runs have been
completed.

Again, we appreciate your continued support.

Regards,

Gerrit

--

--->  New contact information<---