SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jack Daynes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Daynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 04:19:27 -0700
Liz Day wrote:
> Do you think these birds have already bred?   Or are they birds that failed
> to breed, or failed to reach the breeding grounds, and that's why they're
> early?   It seems really hard to believe they could have made it up north,
> bred, and already be coming back.   But I don't really know what time they
> normally arrive on their breeding grounds, either.
>
> thanks,
> Liz
>

>  >  Liz,
>  >     We started getting both Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs in Colorado
> last
>  >week.  We have also had about 20 Marbled Godwits reported in the past
> week.
>  >
>  >--
>  >Charlie Lawrence
>  >Centennial, CO
>  >

==================================

As per A. C. Bent's Life Histories and Birdzilla:

Lesser Yellowlegs
Egg dates: Alberta and Manitoba: 38 records, May 15 to
June 16; 19 records, May 27 to June 4. Arctic Canada:
28 records, June 2 to July 1; 14 records, June 20 to
27. Labrador Peninsula: 7 records, June 3 to July 2.
Incubation: Both sexes likely incubate the eggs and
care for the young. Incubation lasts approximately
22-23 days; young are capable of flight when they are
about 18-20 days old.

Pectoral Sandpiper
Egg dates: Alaska: 16 records, May 27 to July 3; 8
records, June 2 to 18. Arctic Canada: 3 records, June
10 to 30.
Incubation: Female incubates the eggs and cares for the
young. Incubation lasts approximately 21-23 days; young
are capable of flight when they are about 21 days old.

I hope this helps,
--
-- Jack --