ISL Archives

Int'l. Student Life Office

ISL@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Int'l. Student Life Office
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:55:52 -0400
Announcements for the week of August 18, 2003

This week's announcements from ISL - Improving Student Life.

International Student Life events and announcements
1.  Welcome New Students!
2.  ISL Campus Coffee Hour
3.  Get Globally Connected

Other UGA Announcements
1.  Bharatanatyam Recital

=======================
International Student Life events

1.  Welcome new International students!  It was certainly a pleasure to
greet many of you during orientation.  The International Student Life
Office is here to serve you.  ISL encourages you to take advantage of
the ISL Lounge located in 210F Memorial Hall.  The Lounge is usually
open from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m. and has a computer, microwave and
resource materials.   If you have not done so, get acquainted with one
of our 25  international organizations, they can be most helpful.  You
may contact ISL for additional information on these organizations.  We
also urge you to participate in the services and events that we will be
sponsoring periodically during the year. If you would like to volunteer,
there are opportunities to help with an event or service that interests
you.  Please contact our office at 542-5867 for more information on how
to get involved.  ISL would also like to know that you are here, and you
are welcome to come by the office anytime to say hello.  We wish you
well with your academic studies here at UGA!

2.  Welcome returning International students!  ISL really missed those
of you that were away for the summer.  We hope that you had fun during
your vacation.  We look forward to working with those of you willing to
volunteer your services for different events ISL will sponsor during the
year.  Even if you do not volunteer, we look forward to your support and
participation by coming to the events.  We wish you will with your
studies here at UGA and look forward to your dropping by to say hello.

3.   ISL Campus Coffee hour is held every Friday from 11:30 a.m.- 1:30
p.m. in the Memorial Hall Ballroom Room.  It is usually sponsored by ISL
or one of our 25 International Student Organizations, although it may
also be co-sponsored by other UGA Departments and Community Groups. Take
advantage of the Coffee Hour; it is a chance to meet and greet other
people both national and international.  This week's Coffee Hour is
sponsored by the International Student Life Office.  As with most ISL
events, there is no admission charge.  We look forward to seeing you as
we welcome our new and returning students.

4.  The ISL Office invites international students who are interested in
meeting someone from their homeland and/or another culture to submit
their name, e-mail address and the country they want to contact for our
Global Connection Board.  Our Board is located in the ISL Office, 210
Memorial Hall.

=======================
Other University Events

1.  Bharatanatyam Recital by Dr. Vasundhara Doraswmy.  Bharatanatyam is
an Indian Dance genre known for its emphasis on dramatic impersonation
of women in love, as well as on abstract movements and poses, symbolic
hand gestures and elaborate facial expressions.  Friday, August 22 at
8:00 p.m. Hugh Hodgson Hall at UGA Performing Arts Center.
Complimentary tickets available at UGA Performing Arts Center Box Office
and the Tate Center Box Office.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
International Student Life
Department of Student Activities