CILIATEMOLBIO-L Archives

Ciliate Molecular Biology

CILIATEMOLBIO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Donna Cassidy-Hanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 11:09:21 -0400
Dear Tetrahymena researchers,

The Tetrahymena research community has proven to be remarkably generous in sharing resources, but it is often difficult, especially for those new to the Tetrahymena system, to determine what is available and where to get specific materials. Having made a wide variety of strains easily accessible worldwide, the Tetrahymena Stock Center is now expanding its offerings to include plasmids.

To make Tetrahymena based plasmids optimally accessible to everyone, we are setting up a central distribution site for plasmids, similar to what we have established for Tetrahymena strains. The plasmid database will provide basic information for each plasmid, including (when possible) a plasmid map, sequence data, and related publications. A simple online ordering system will make requesting plasmids quick and easy. We will maintain the bacterial cultures as frozen stocks, and supply plasmids either as clones shipped after overnight growth that will arrive as a living E. coli stab on LB medium (within the US only), or as DNA spotted on filter paper (only method for shipping outside the US).

To begin to organize the collection, we need to see what is available. Please let us know if you have cloned genes, GFP, RFP, Lux, mCherry, or other fluorophore constructs, cloning vectors, Epitope Tagging vectors, Transformation vectors, Gene Silencing vectors, Expression vectors, or any other constructs that might be useful to other researchers. We will collate the list, weed out duplicates, and then ask for submissions, either as bacterial stabs (preferably) or isolated plasmid DNAs, along with plasmid maps, any available sequences, any other pertinent information, and, when available, references to any publications related to plasmid construction or use.

We are excited at the prospect of adding this service, and we look forward to seeing what plasmid resources are available to support research in the Tetrahymena system.

Ted and Donna