DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
ken boote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:22:35 -0500
Matthias,

I'd like to give a short answer focusing on the following question you posed:

Is it really the model that needs to be
adapted first, or is it actually the
genotype that shows some degree of flexibility
in adjusting to the new environmental
conditions ?

Yes, I agree that genotypes have flexibility in adjusting to new
environmental conditions, but the real genetics of the variety have not
changed from one site to the next.  Just the phenotypic expression.  The
question is whether the model and the genetic coefficients as configured in
the model, allow or provide that flexibility or phenotypic expression,
called G x E.  That is the part of modeling that we are not particularly
good at, or finished with, at the present state of crop modeling.  Examples
could be genetic differences in aluminum tolerance or somewhat lower base
temperature or heat tolerance for grain set.  That means more genetic
coefficients than we currently use in the models.  It is easy to say all
this, but it will be difficult to obtain such more detailed coefficients,
as we are short on data and on real understanding of some of those issues.

Good luck with this,
Ken Boote