SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Steve Sosensky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Sosensky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:46:16 -0800
Hi Larry,

Larger objective lenses provide more light gathering, and therefore
better resolution, given equivalent glass. If the two scopes use the
same eyepiece and their objective lenses have the same focal lengths,
they will have the same magnification ranges, and the tradeoff is
between weight and exit pupil size, and therefore brightness. If the
two scopes have objectives with different focal lengths in order to
keep the exit pupil the same, only the resolution will be affected.

The other cost factor you will want to evaluate is whether to get
APO/ED/FL/HD glass. This is also a significant cost increase, but for
the cost you get a significantly sharper image and better light transmission.

How you evaluate these tradeoffs is a personal decision.

At 08:42 AM 2006-01-25, Larry Marsh wrote:
>I am in the process of looking for a new scope.  I have seen the new 80
>to 100mm scopes and wonder if any of you have used them and are they
>worth the extra weight and $.  I would be interested in your comments.

Good Viewing,
Steve Sosensky <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
VP of Operations

www.Optics4Birding.com
877.OP4.BIRD (877.674.2473) Toll Free
818.752.BIRD (818.752.2473) Local