From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:49:25 -0700
I found the article interesting.  Thank you, Steve.  I'm a microbiologist by training and career public health professional who worked in the shellfish and food safety programs.  I would suggest being very careful about getting cuts in salt water environments.  Wearing Nitrile gloves and heavy boots really helps avoid cuts to hands and feet.  If you are immunocompromised, as many older folks are, be extra careful.  If you have a painful, swollen wound after salt-water contact don't wait to have it looked at.  Vibrio vulnificus doesn't take very long to become a nasty infection. Lastly, don't eat raw oysters from warm water sources and be careful to eat crabs soon after cooking.  Some folks cool their cooked crab in salt-water which can lead to re-contamination..  Much better to use fresh-water ice.  Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA