From:
José H Leal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:51:15 -0500
Thanks, Harry,

Sad news indeed. Another Bill story: I knew Bill already, but our professional connection became stronger during the 2002 Latin American Congress of Malacology at the University of São Paulo, Brasil. When arriving in my hotel room after the long flight from the US, I found one of his FSU businesses cards under the door. On back, he wrote "I'm in room 402". (I still have it.) I freshened up and called room 402. Bill was very glad that I got in touch with him right away. He didn't speak the language, the hotel was about five miles away from the University, and São Paulo is not an easy city to move around, to say the least. For the rest of the meeting, I'd meet Bill for breakfast, and together we'd ride public transportation to the meeting, and vice - versa at day's end. Bill returned to Brasil several times after that, and for a while joined the Brazilian malacological meetings, having made at least one sizable financial contribution to the Brazilian Malacological Society to help sponsor student participation. He became a local hero since then, making many grateful admirers among the new generations of Brazilian malacologists. He will be sorely (and globally) missed.

José H Leal

Sent from my iPhone