Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:31:42 -0600
8bit
From:
Subject: Re: Medieval 'projection'
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:28:57 -0700 (MST)
From: Laurence S. Creider <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I agree with Ken Grabach and David Allen.  This discussion, of course,
also raises the problem of scale (or lack of it) in medieval maps.  I
think that both Mr. Thornton and his professor might do well to consult a
basic discussion of map-making in the Middle Ages, even an older one to
better understand the issues.
Browsing GA201 might help; there are lots of chapters on ancient and
medieval maps.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head