Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:09:28 -0600
7bit
From:
Subject: Fwd: Penn State Interview newsletter, Jan. 23, 2012
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:06:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

For those of you who might be interested, our Penn State Libraries'
weekly newsletter for this week contains a solid article on Joe Paterno,
our beloved football coach, educator, philanthropist, father and more.
Embedded within the article is a link to a broader history of Mr.
Paterno's life, with pictures. The key point I would like to make (and
thank my staff colleagues for focusing on) regarding the story is that
it mentions nothing about football statistics -- this is the true person
that Joe (or "JoePa" as we all call him) is, as well as his loving wife
Sue and the entire Paterno family.

It currently is "Sad Valley" here in the State College, Pennsylvania
region and across our state as well. (for anyone who might not know, the
central Pennsylvania area and valley that contains Penn State
University, the city of State College and nearby communities such as the
one I live in, Lemont, has long been nicknamed "Happy Valley") There are
viewings of Joe today and tomorrow, a 2 p.m. Memorial Service in our
basketball arena Thursday afternoon at 2 p.m. that will be televised on
local network channels and the Big Ten Network (BTN), followed by a
funeral procession that in part will go by the eastern portion of the
library named after the Paterno family.

I wish to thank any and all who have expressed condolences to me
personally, and on behalf of the university community, in the past 48
hours. These are sincerely appreciated. Even someone like me, who is not
a Penn Stater, not even born or raised in Pennsylvania, deeply feels and
mourns the loss of a man who was the epitome of a "citizen" and like a
father-figure to many in this region. Please keep positive thoughts for
the huge Penn State community as we go through a period of mourning and
reflection.

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew

p.s. when you click on the link below it will take you to a calendar
page. Find the January 23, 2012 date and click it to get to yesterday's
edition of the newsletter that was issued this morning.