From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:34:42 -0400
I have a self-collected dark  Crepidula from Eleuthera that I can't ID with certainty-  It was alive (attached to a large dead gastropod), and looks similar to Crepidula convexa, it is dark inside and out, the internal shelf is also dark (but lighter than the rest of the shell), and the shelf looks more or less straight-edged, although the edge is a bit  rough.

I have the 1st Edition of Redfern's Bahamian Seashells, he lists only three Crepidula-like  species (C. navicula, which looks like maculosa; C. plana, and Bostrycapulus aculeatus), none of which are close.  The Malacolog entry for C. convexa does not mention the Bahamas. The shell is a bit over 16mm, which seems too  large (and out of range anyhow) for the similar, smaller Gulf of Mexico species C. ustulatulina.

I was wondering if the 2nd edition of Redfern has any additions to that group of species? Or if anybody else found a similar shell in the Bahamas or other nearby islands? I haven't checked iNaturalist but will do so shortly.

http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1