CILIATEMOLBIO-L Archives

Ciliate Molecular Biology

CILIATEMOLBIO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Loren Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2016 17:41:32 -0400
Hello,

I am an assistant professor at the University of Colorado, Boulder.  I just received funding to hire a post-doc for a project using a combination of NMR and other biophysical methods to study the effects of poly-glycylation and other post-translational modifications on tubulin and microtubules.  Are you, or do you know of any excellent graduate students who might be interested in this position?

Our initial focus will be on the effects of these modifications on microtubule bending rigidity and interactions with binding partners.   In this project, we make use of the organism Tetrahymena thermophila, where significant work on tubulin's poly-modifications has occurred.  As described in our recent paper ( http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acschembio.6b00507 ), this organism is very amenable to heavy isotope labeling required for NMR, allowing us to complement more standard tubulin characterization with atomic-level information about the conformations and dynamics  of the C-terminal tails.  My hope is that a post-doc will bring expertise in tetrahymena cell biology, tubulin biochemistry or NMR.

Please feel free to share this with others who might be interested.

Thank you,
Loren Hough
http://www.colorado.edu/physics-biophysics/people/loren-hough