From:
Martin Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 00:16:36 -0500
Yea Fabio!

I also support the concept and hope for the best digital processes be
done.  I tend to want several forms of data as the current 'great' will
be next years so-so grade.

Remember HD TV was 720x720.  Then 1080  then the beautiful 4k and 8K is
being made.  R&D and custom
designs push 64k.  They are for large stage us.

CAD computer
added design has grown tremendously over the last 40 years.  Mostly
custom designs 40 years ago moving through exotic moves to 3-D
mechanical and 3-D mechanical with full data linkage.  The fancy 3-D
machine design has versions that for every feature/element is identified
with part numbers, vendors, uses, alternate source, other users.

In 1986 I was using a Cad program for Printed Circuits and mechanical
design that was an IBM product.  There were two of us (companies using
this level of the hardware / software) west of the Mississippi.  We
formed an alliance with them.  They would come over with
armed guards and were the only user.  [they were the guys that wore all
black as they were designing the next generation Fighter/bomber. ] they
would come when their computer was down or serviced.  Our system was
swapped out to disk packs and the system cleaned.  Then their software
was loaded and they got to work.   We never had to go there, but were
offered and had the paperwork.  We could wait it out locally. So
sometimes tech is great but to limited to be super for all. Naturally
all of that work was lost to dedicated hardware and software.  But our
machine was used for several product lines before a shift was made
away.  I think the 'others' got our machine as we moved to Unix / Sun.

In this vain, I'm glad that the CD moved to DVD moved to Blu-Ray and you
can get a top of the line do all machine and read/write all of them.
Lower end has specialized units.  Not all cad is that easy to move or
port out to another.  Remember HD - fighting for the next generation mode
with Blu-Ray.  Or remember tape - Beta vs. VHS.   Beta lost.  Big
time.   (one of the reason why Blu-Ray won).

Consider a road map for 20 or 50 years from now.  50 years is really
fuzzy when tech is moving at such a high exponential rate. Semiconductor
standards - Semi-tech  for example have a process road map by feature
size.  As designs get larger the process must get smaller and faster.
They estimated the far end and improved it in real-time.

Martin