From:
John Caldeira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:34:40 -0600
Does anyone know of a web site showing good maps of ocean currents?    I
found a few good web sites that show maps of water temperatures and tide
predicting, but did not find any good web sites showing ocean (Caribbean)
currents.

Here are some of the sites I liked for temperatures and tides.  Some folks
here might find this interesting, as it influences the geographic range of
many species (and our comfort in finding them!).

OCEAN SURFACE TEMPERATURES
The National Oceanographic Data Center Coastal Ocean Laboratory web site
allows the reader to produce a surface temperature chart for most U.S.
coasts, using satellite data, for their selected historical date ranges.
The color maps tell a lot about currents.  When you get to this page, click
the "Produce Composite AVHRR SST Images" link:
http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cw/index.html

The page above also has some good links to other satellite image sites for
ocean temperatures, including real-time images of the Eastern U.S. coast
from U. of Miami ( http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/images.html ) and Rutgers U. (
http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat.data2.html ).

TIDE PREDICTION
Find those negative tides!  My favorite predictor site, though lacking some
regions of the world:
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sitesel.html

OCEAN CURRENTS
This is a good one for the Gulf of Mexico (pick your date):
http://www-ccar.colorado.edu/~realtime/gom-real-time_vel/
Does anyone know of a good site with maps of currents for other locations?
I haven't found any good ones, but I like the format of this Gulf of Mexico
map.

Most of the above sites are linked from the U.S. government's National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) at http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/ .

Let me know if you find a good web site showing ocean currents, especially
the Caribbean and Yucatan.

Thanks, and happy hunting!

John     (planning a vacation)

John Caldeira