From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:26:18 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers,

I always believed there are two different species of Giant Tuns and both
are always labeled Tonna galea.  I have both of them on my self.  I
can't find names to separate them.  There is one that comes from the
state of Florida and Honduras.  The other one is pictured in the
Compendium of Seashells and I don't think it is found in the Caribbean.
The spiral sculpture is what separates the two.  The one in the
Compendium has narrow sculpture inbetween the main sculpture.  The
Caribbean one does not have this.  The Caribbean ones are also lighter
in color and they get large off Honduras.