From:
Tara Elsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:01:15 PST
Hi Everyone,
Just over a year ago while in Texas, we visited Mustang Isand State Park in
November.  We didn't have a lot of time so we only did some beachcombing.
Red tide had been a week or two before, so the beach was pretty deserted.
There were a lot of Cabbage Heads on the beach as well as a variety of
shells.  Many of the bivalves that we found were gray or blotchy gray.  Some
were almost black.  They didn't have any black sticky stuff on them that
some shells had.  Here is my question:  Does this gray coloring come from
contmination from the off-shore oil rigs?  Or is this the natural color of
some scallops and other bivalves?
Thanks in advance,
Happy Shelling,
Tara