Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:34:33 +0000
        Once again (this is getting to be a habit!!) i agree with Frank (and
with Bobbi Cordi's splendid posting!!) - there is a common perception
amongst folks that know a LITTLE about what i like to call "serious"
shell collecting, that we are an elite bunch that speak in Latin and
argue about obscure taxonomic points - this of course is only partially
true, but as a whole, "Conchology" is not viewed as an easily-accessible
avocation - like coin collecting or bird watching or (shudder!!!)
beany-babies.  I think it might profit clubs to engage in even more
community-oriented activities than they already engage in - demos in
malls, using part of their auction reciepts for public-info campaigns,
putting Compendiums or other good Conchological books in local
libraries, etc. "ECUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE" is a good motto for us!!!//
        That said, i think that Conch-L is an EXTREMELY user-friendly crowd -
whenever newcomers and youngsters such as James ask questions which an
elitist group might ignore, there is seldom a lack of friendly, helpful
matters, but that is partly what this list is for - discussions on ALL
matters pertaining to Conchology, including the scientific side - so i
would not advocate trying to use "Common" names whenever possible (would
drive me out of my skull, since i don't know more than a handful of
them!!), or any other measure which might seem to be "user friendly" but
is actually just "dumbing down" (****NOT**** that i'm calling ANYONE
"dumb" please note - just an expression!!!), and would diminish the
usefulness and vitality of the list.  Conchology will always be
concerned with science, and i don't think we should make any apologies
for it - but if asked, we should continue to give clear, concise
explanations of terms and concepts - this is just common sense.

Still Snowless in the Great Formerly-White North,
Ross.