From:
Eddie Heiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:47:01 +0200
Dear Paul and all
Here is a quatation about Cyp. arabica immanis from the Schilders' Prodrom:
"...the East African immanis...is characterized by its giant size, the step
sides with large blackish spots, the blunt extremities, and the base mostly
suffused with orange and showing chestnut lines emitted from the teeth". As
you can see  from above, there are apparently all the minimal conditions of
the mentioned East African population so as to consider it subspecies:  it
is geographically separated from the other Cyp. arabica populations and
shells of this population differ from these of the other populations by at
least one characteristics, which is constant, prominent and may be found in
the vast majority of individuals of the discussed population.

 Cypraea tigris schilderiana: to my opinion its status is not finally clear.
In the work of R.E. Brock, 1979 "A statistical study of Cypraea tigris in
the Central Pacific" a conclusion was made that the validity of the Hawaiian
subspecies is doubtful. Any  further study in this field is not known to me
and additional information will be very appreciated.
Eduard Heiman