Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:10:42 EST
I can't speak for other dealers, but I find that if I can't tell the
difference in some of the subspecies or variations, I just don't carry them.
I trust most of my suppliers, but am still concerned about similar shells
with different names.

Being on Okinawa for a long time, there are several species that there seems
to be a great variety in the pattern, color and markings. Sometimes to the
point of looking like other recognized subspecies. Cypraea stolida is a good
example as we have several hundred to compare. But I just can't do it, guess
I must be a lumper and a dealer. Never did fit any stereotypes in the past,
why start now.

Frank (freezing my shells off) in Massachusetts
Gems From The Sea
www.shellgems.com