From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:38:18 -0700
At 11:51 PM 2/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi people,
>
>What does anyone think about Seashells of the West Indies by Michael
>Humfrey? Search service found it and wants $79. Is it a step up from Warmke
>& Abbott? Include micros? Good illustrations?

David:

I got my copy about 6-7 years ago for $4.95 at a place called Half-Priced
Books in Texas - $79 is absolutely crazy (in my opinion).  Look in local
used book/discount book stores or at dealers in used mollusk books.  The
illustrations are all in color but they are not as good as Warmke and
Abbott.  All the plates are at natural size or reduced (very poor for
micros) while Warmke and Abbott had most of their "micros" enlarged greatly
but only in black & white.  Many of the micros (e.g., Turbonilla species)
are only listed in "Seashells of the West Indies", while many of the common
micros are shown nicely in greatly enlarged nice quality plates in Warmke
and Abbott).  I like Warmke and Abbott better.

>I don't know if I'll ever find Jong & Coomans. That seems to be the one to
have.

I saw this as a "new" book on a July 1999 list from Jens and Christa Hemmen
for 110 DM, but have not seen it on recent lists from them.  Might try Jens
and Christa or Dr. Backhuys listed below for a remaining "new" copy or an
used copy.  Their most current email addresses that I have are listed below:

Jens & Christa Hemmen at [log in to unmask]

Dr. Backhuys at [log in to unmask]

Paul Drez

P.S.  HAS ANYBODY SEEN "GUIDE DES COQUILLAGES DES ANTILLES", 1998, BY
POINTIER AND LAMY?  WHAT IS IS LIKE?