Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:47:43 EST
Hi All,

maybe someone can help me with a problem I have with
an obscure Calliostoma - Calliostoma bicingulatum.

The species was described by Lamarck in 1822 as Trochus
bicingulatus, type locality: Martinique.

Have seen this species only in collections from 19th century,
e.g. the Dautzenberg collection in Brussels or the Loebbecke
Museum in Duesseldorf.

Most confusing are the localities for these shell: Lamarck 1822
has Martinique, A. Adams 1853 (Rains Island, Great Barrier Reef),
Paetel 1868 (Torres Strait), Pilsbry 1889 (Cape of Good Hope),
Cotton 1859 (Queensland). The museum material I have seen
is from "Australia" or "West Indies".

So I would like to know if someone has a specimen with "good"
data - any help would be much appreciated.

A photo of this shell can be found on the Conch-L images page
(www.geocities.com/conchlimages) - thanks to Ross Mayhew for
placing the picture there.

Best regards,

Dirk