From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:58:00 -0500
Dear Shellers,
Members of the genus Fontigens are cave dwelling aquatic snails.  One is
illustrated on the cover of the work "Missouri Aquatic Snails" by
Shi-Kuei Wu, Ronald Oesch and Mark Gordon, Conservation Commission of
the State of Missouri (Jefferson City, MO: 1997).  The shell pictured on
the cover was collected by Frieda Shilling, a still active member of the
Greater St. Louis Shell Club. She recently donated her massive
collection to the Field Museum.
In reference to Tom's comments, in Cuba, saw the Chondropometes dangling
by a thread from the limestone outcropping in Pinar del Rio Province.
This was an exciting to see and an interesting phenomenon, but the shell
was not associated with caves.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL

"The most interesting molluscs are found not in the oceans, but in the
lakes and rivers, forest and fields of the world."