From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:48:16 -0500
I believe Mr. Gibbons died at the ripe, old age of about 56.

I think every species of mollusk is edible (with the possible exception of
the venonmous cones [extremely stable toxins, I wouldn't take the
chance.....I'd probably end up learning about some undiagnosed stomach
ulcer]).  It's just a matter of personal preference.  It depends on your
tolerance for an abundance of mucus, or disgusting digestive tracts, or a
piece of flesh resembling the consistancy, and perhaps the taste, of shoe
leather.  Many Filipino mountain folk eat Ryssota (a large helicarionid)
and Helicostyla (tree snails), but most people there shudder when the topic
is brought up.  In Florida we have HUGE midden sites of freshwater clams,
apple snails (Pomacea) and Viviparus created by Native Americans over the
last 2000 years.  Apparently, other tribes did not indulge in these
species.  I've tried our local freshwater mollusk cuisine.  OK, but not
something I'd serve to dinner guests.

I've had some good mollusk meals over the years......Lambis is great, as is
that big Indo-Pacific Lopha "oyster" with the huge, purple crenulations
(can't remember the name).  Nassarius and Littorina filled in when the
monthly food shipments didn't arrive on time in Indonesia (OK, those might
not have tasted as good if we hadn't been so hungry).  Pinna and
Dinocardium have also been well-prepared and enjoyed.  Those big freshwater
pleurocerids, etc. in SE Asia are tasty....boil them, knock the top off and
suck the contents out.  Tasty, but noisy if the dinner party is more than a
couple of people.

I haven't contributed much to the list lately.  And in reading over the
above, I realize this isn't much either.  I'm going to go home and get some
sleep.

Kurt