From:
David Monsecour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:45:43 +0200
Dear Harry,

As far as my knowledge of Danish reaches, the / has the same effect on the
pronunciation as the German Umlaut (transferring a written 'o' into a
spoken 'eu'). This is also true of Swedish, but I do not know about
Norwegian. The reason why the / and even the Umlaut are often omitted in
other languages is that these languages (such as English) do not know the /
or the Umlaut. In order to get to the same pronunciation, they replace
these signs by for instance oe as in Moerch. The German Umlaut has the same
effect as adding an 'e' to the normal vocal (see: Röding to Roeding) as Mr.
Nister already mentioned.
Unfortunately, I do not know what the Danish / is called.
As a matter of fact, it has everything to do with different sound-systems
in the different languages.

Oops, I hope I have not bored you all to death with my explanations, and
that I am not too much showing off with this talk, but this was at least
one question I could answer partially (glad I am studying Germanic
languages).

David.
Belgium.