From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 06:34:44 +0100
Hi Cecil,

Yes, your cowry is a juvenile Cypraea (Lyncina if you prefer) lynx.
Not all juveniles of the species look like this, as most are darker
and have some "smears" across the dorsum.  However, this is
one of the uncommon forms I find, and the tooth development is
always at about the same point when they have this coloration
and pattern.  I occasionally find an adult that is similar, but with
more lateral spotting and slightly darker dorsal spotting.  The ones
like your specimen are always thin-shelled and are just forming
teeth on both sides of the aperture.  They usually look more inflated
than yours, though.

Cheers,

Don