From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 13:49:03 -0400
I spent two days this weekend examining beach grit at Ft. Macon, NC. I
noticed that there were plenty of live Thais haemastoma floridana on the
jetty. But not a single beachworn example in the nearby drift. What
accounts for this?

There was quite a variety of other species. There are lots of Terebra
dislocata in good shape, better yet there are enough concava to be somewhat
selective. I found a range of colors: the yellowish white referred to in
the books, slate gray, brown, and pale lilac with lilac base and purple
protoconch. Anybody have similar encounters with this variability?

Also, there are some T. dislocata that have a squatter, less elongate whorl
and less color. Are these possibly fossil or just a variation?

David
Durham, NC