From:
Masashi Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 08:27:59 +0900
Dear Harry and all,

Thank you very much for all new information that made me up-to-date.
I am aware of your previous discussion a few years back and thought
that there might have been a rediscovery of the missing one.

I have one more question: are there good collections of the limpet
deposited at any museum or institutions. Sorry, I did not go through
the original paper by Carlton et al. that I should have to. I enjoyed
the essay by S. J. Gould and thought it had very detailed information.

I found an illustration of this limpet and a conceptual picture (hand-drawing)
of these limpets on the eel-grass in the book: Global Marine Biological Diversity:
A Strategy for Building Conservation into Decision Making by Elliott A. Norse (Editor),
Center for Marine Conservation (IUCN) Paperback - 383 pages (October 1993)
Island Pr; ISBN: 1559632550. The Figure 3.3 (p. 78) showed seemingly a good
and detailed visual information.

Although there are many cases of local extinction of marine molluscs, the limpet
may represent only the species of global extinction in recent history on the earth.
Thus, the limpet case has often been cited by many conservationists, even in
Australia. It is so hard to establish scientifically the loss of marine species and
we have only this particular case at hand, though the number of extinct terrestrial
gastropods is the greatest among the recently extinct animals as grouped by classes.

Thank you again,

Masashi Yamaguchi
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
HTTP://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~big/coral/
Department of Marine Sciences,
University of the Ryukyus
1 Senbaru, Nishihara, Okinawa 903-0213 Japan