From:
Kevin Kutolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 08:29:20 -0700
To All

I would like to pose some questions to the group on the classification of
Mollusca. I realize that most classifications are based largely on opinion.
I have read where Kay Vaught' book is riddked with errors and Millard's
work is not widely accepted. I also realize that most collectors and
malacologists are only concerned with the taxa from the "Family" down.

Through a labor of love I have created an Access database using Kay
Vaught's book as a starting point, I have already made some updates.

Here is a little background on what will be included in the database.

1. The database would list any entry (level of taxa) in biological order.
The order will be able to be modified by the user for their own preference.
This will make for easy updates.

2. There are fields for collection information and fields for pictures and
maps. There is also a remarks field with will store an unlimited amount of
information.

3. The database will be a stand alone program. So you won't need Access to
open it.

My questions are:

1. Which classification is the most widely accepted to use as a starting
point?

2. Are there sources where I can provide a more up to date classification?

The database is about 75% complete, but will take a little time to finish
programming.

Anyone wishing more information or to respond, please e-mail me in private
at [log in to unmask]

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Kevin Kutolowski
Charlotte NC