From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:07:36 -0700
>Dear, Paul Monfils
>
>        First, I would like to apologise for the delay on my point of view
>of S.
>pectinata and second to thank you for your reply.
>        Please correct me If  I'm wrong: Guido T. Poppe & Yoshihiro Goto
>in there
>book European Seashells Vol.I,  refer to S. algesirae (Quoy & Gaimard,
>1834) and S. grisea (Gmelin, 1791) as two synonyms of S. pectinata
>(Linnaeus, 1758). In the other hand Nobre., 1938-40, "Fauna Malacol=F3gica d=
>Portugal I. Moluscos Marinhos e das =C1guas Salobras", Porto, 806p. refers
>in page 40 that S. algeserae is the specie fond in Portugal and also
>recognised in the Cape Verde Islands. This last author also refers as
>synonymies S. palpebrum (Reeve) and says that Mac-Andrew mentions this
>specie as S. concinna.  =20
>        Consulting Guido T. Poppe home page, he now refers to S. pectinata
>not as
>a synonym of S. algeserae: Siphonaria pectinata C. Linnaeus, 1758 North
>Atlantic and Siphonaria algesirae J. R. C. Quoy & J. P. Gaimard, 1829 Cape
>Verde. Well what should it be, S. pecctinata or S. algesirae ?=20
>        In my poit of vew (If we are really only talking of one particular
>specie), Linnaeus first identified this specie in the American coast before
>Quoy & Gaimard did the same for the same specie that occurred in the
>Mediterranean.=20
>But the doughty remains !! You said in your last e-mail, to a possible
>difference between  S. petinata and S. algesirae since you have both to
>compare. Unfortunately I only have the specie that occurs here in the south
>of Portugal, so the dought remanes !! Is it the one refered my Linnaeus or
>by Qouy & Gaimard ? I could send you a couple of preserved specimens from
>Portugal if you like ? =20
>Maybe some one out there can jump on in with there to scents ? =20
>Thank you once again Paulo on the geographic distribution.
>
>        My best regards to Paul Monfils and the hole crew
>
>        Wishes of a happy happy Easter
>
>        Carlos Afonso

Carlos,
        Maybe you can check with Kim Hutsell from the San Diego Shell Club,
in California.  He is working on a new Pecten Book and maybe can give you
some answers.  I don't know his e-mail address but you also can contact him
through Don Pisor.  His e-mail address is [log in to unmask]
        Good luck on your identification & info seeking
                Dan Yoshimoto