From:
"Lycette, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 08:26:46 +0300
I've observed that c. carneola and nebrites immediately pull in their mantle
and foot as soon as you turn over their rock.  They immediately fall off the
rock into the sand and will not expose their mantle while you wait and watch
(this assumes they are not sitting on eggs, in which case they hang on for
dear life).  C. grayana, lynx, caurica and pantherina will retract their
mantle but hang on with their foot until pushed off with a finger.

C. gracilis will keep their bright red/orange mantle out even if exposed,
but on touching will retract it but still hang on with their foot.

C. turdus seem the most relaxed about the whole thing.  I've picked up c.
turdus and played with them and they still won't retract their mantle.  They
have no concerns about walking across your hand with their mantle fully out.
For some, you have to "push" their mantle down off the mantle to get them to
expose their dorsum.

So it all depends on the species.

Don Lycette
Al Jubail