From:
Nancy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:28:15 -0400
Hello!

Have just returned from a most beautiful shelling Sunday on the Gulf coast
of FL and return with an as yet unanswered question.    Humor me with the
newness of these sightings, they were the first I'd ever seen live.  :)

I saw two starfish, one a "nine pointed" star (with a short leg; he hadn't
finished regeneration I guess!) and one a star with five legs, perhaps 8-9
inches in span, which I can't identify now.  :(   Anyone out there with an
idea?  I'll describe it as best I can:

overall size was 8-9 inches.  the legs were thin (perhaps 1-1.5 inches
wide), no "webbing" between them at all and the star was not "inflated" at
all, fairly flat lying down.   The ends of the legs narrowed slightly and
were a bit "smoother" than the rest of the legs and the center.   Coloring
was almost vibrant....  the 'background' was orange, continuing to the
ventral surface somewhat as well.   Dorsally there were alternating black,
grey and white stripes running down the length of each leg, very distinct,
defined and really beautiful markings.    The color of the end of the legs
was slightly yellowish but not vivid.    In the center of the 'star' was a
sixth marking from the center as if there were going to be another leg (not
in physical formation, but in coloring/marking).   The texture dorsally was
very slightly bumpy but with no large 'knobs' or bumps really; just a bit
rough I suppose.

I can't find a picture of anything on the internet even slightly resembling
what I saw.   Can someone shed a little light?  I'd appreciate it.  :)

Best to all,
Nancy Smith