From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:14:44 -0400
Dear Conchler,

yesterday I made an agreement with our common friend Ross Mayhew to get serious and to keep
peace with all of you.
But I have to do again one explination of a joke I sent in the last days. I told you that I saw a lot
of Cypraea bassaterranensis = syn. of Cypraea aurantium. Why this self invented name.
Here is the last explination for the last joke I've made.

Now these days there are the European championships in football and one of the great
favourites are dressed in an deep and bright orange as in Cypraea aurantium. Also their
fans are dressed in that way with sometimes orange hairs. This brought me up to
compare them with Cypraea aurantium.
So I called this species of fans Cypraea bassaterranensis, the Cypraea coming from
the Netherlands.
bassa means nether
terranensis is coming from terra = land
It's quite hard to understand, as I like to play with words, what is going well in German,
but maybe not in the translations in English or what language ever. But it seems quite
working in Latin or Latinized. This was really the last joke.

with best shelling regards and keeping up our good contact in the future on malacological topics

Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web:    www.netwing.at/nisters/
           (please visit it and sign guestbook)
always looking for shellgrit from all over the world
for my nearly 89 years aged mother Irmgard
to makes happy and to keep up her health

office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11 a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
web: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at
        (specimen donations to the
         Tiroler Landesmuseum molluscs collection
         are always appreciated)