From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:10:36 EDT
I thought about the land crabs as food too. And as Richard is a diver, I
would think the idea of various shellfish for food would occur to him.
Personally, I'm hoping he nabs some lobsters. The would make that smug
homophobe Sean button his lip for a while.

As I understand it, the contestants are limited to eating only certain
species of plants and animals. Makes sense because eating endangered animals
would be a bad idea and eating "cute" animals would cause bad press. There
were PETA protests about he rats, for pity's sake! And, as they don't seem to
have any naturalists in the group, they might poison themselves by eating
something they identified incorrectly.

The Survivors aren't eating shells, but they are are wearing them. Almost
everyone on Pagong was wearing a topsnail shell fragment on a bit of twine.
On one episode, the host was wearing a limpet. And in the People Magazine
article on Sonja, the musician, a photo shows her standing behind her shell
collection. I wonder if she knows about the COA? She might enjoy it. Lord
knows, she's a game gal.

To go off topic for a bit; Sonja was the first voted off the island because
all the contests rely on brute strength and she was older than the other
contestants. In a real desert island survival scenario, I'm not sure that
strength would be the most important thing. Brains and knowledge might be
what kept you alive. Survivor (like the Sat and such tests) seems designed to
give the boys a serious advantage.