From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:01:20 -0400
American Sea Shells - 2nd Edition   by Abbott
Compendium of Sea Shells by Abbott & Dance
Tom Rice's Price Catalog
Seashells of the Philippine Islands
Carribbean Shells by Warmke
Volutes of the World by Poppe & Gotto
Cone Shells by Walls
Pecten Shells  Rombouts
Sea Shells of the World   Eisenberg

Charles Sturm wrote:

> In the hopes of getting this group on another track, I would like to pose
> a question.  This is one that can be answered by the most and least
> experienced of us.  I am working on a paper dealing with the malacological
> literature.  I would like the input of the group as to what, say 10 works,
> you find the most useful.  Now, if you specialize in cone, I would
> be interested in your cone references.  If you specialize in terrestrial
> gastropods, what works are most indispensable to you.  If you only work
> with the fauna of New Zealand, what are your top picks?  The list can be
> works dealing with a specific region, a specific genus or family, they can
> be the best ten general books that a beginner might find useful.  hey
> might deal with photographing shells or maintaining them in an aquarium.
> The works most likely will be books, but they might be a monograph or a
> paper.  Some may have been published last year, some might be 50 or 100
> years old [some groups don't get worked on frequently :)]
>   There are some 300 of us on the list.  Hopefully, I'll hear from many of
> you.  If you don't want to post to the list, feel free to send your
> recommendations to me.  When I have compiled all the info, I will post the
> results on the list.
>   Thanks for your assistance.  Now let's get to it whether you deal with
> marine, freshwater, terrestria; recent or fossil mollusks.
>
> Charlie
> Charlie Sturm, Jr
> Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
>                      Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
> Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

Jim and Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self Collected Caribbean Species
Merritt Island Florida

2001 SHELL ODYSSEY
July 7-11
Port Canaveral, FL