Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:10:00 EDT
Hi George,
Most of the shells pictured are rather common Indo-Pacific species.  There
are a few I'm not sure about.  Here's my best attempt:
GROUP 1:
1a  Conus litoglyphus Hwass
1b  Not certain - perhaps a form of Conus boeticus Reeve
1c  Conus rattus Hwass
1d  Conus sponsalis Hwass
GROUP 2:
2a  Chicoreus sp., juvenile.  Perhaps Chicoreus cichoreum Gmelin, which is
extremely variable, but I am not certain.
2b  Peristernia nassatula (Lamarck) (Fasciolariidae)
2c  Chicoreus brunneus Link
GROUP 3:
3a  Cymatium (Septa) rubecula (Linne)
3b  Strombus dentatus Linne
3c  Mitra fraga Quoy & Gaimard
GROUP 4:
4a  This is either Casmaria ponderosa (Gmelin) or Casmaria erinacea (Linne).
Both are quite variable, and can be difficult to tell apart from the dorsal
view.  If the shell has a row of tubercles along the entire length of the
lip, it is C. ponderosa.  If the lip is smooth except for a few small sharp
denticles at the anterior end, it is C. erinacea.
4b  Pyrene testudinaria (Link)
4c  Vexillum sp.  Probably a small V. caffrum (Linne)
4d  Nassarius graniferus (Kiener)

Regards,
Paul