From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:15:12 -0600
Ellen,

Could you give the full citation for the article that stated the venoms of
cones, octopi, and poison arrow frogs are the same?  I think they have a few
facts very, very wrong.  The venoms in cones are extremely complex and quite
variable from species to species and even within a species over a given
geographical range!

Poison arrow frogs do loose their venomous secretions over time in captivity
and it is assumed this is linked to an absence of certain ants in the diet
(and their associated formic acids) -- but this is still a theory and has
not been tested or proven as far as I know.  It does make sense however, as
the frog's toxin is an added defense measure and there is no specialized
feeding apparatus such as a cone's radula "harpoon" or a snake's fangs.

I am also appraoching this as a amateur, but I have read a bit and it seems
that the more we research these chemical mixtures the more complex they are
found to be.  I would bet a home-reared cone would develop the same venom
his wild cousin has.  I think there is a big difference in a venom
associated with specialized feeding (cone toxins are specialized to their
diet) and a toxin that is secreted as a defensive measure.  It would be
analogous to raising a rattlesnake and expecting it to be less venomous!!
This at least, has been tested and they are just as lethal after any number
of captive raised generations (trust me, this at least, I know).

I assume the same would be true for the blue-ringed octopus -- but I really
haven't a clue.  However, again the octopus has developed the venom for
feeding.  We tend to associate venoms in all of these animals as defensive
when in fact that is a secondary role.  The primary role of the venom is to
subdue their prey.  The only blue-ringed octopus I have seen was in the
aquarium of a friend and it was fascinating.  It is always hard to equate
that active and intelligent critter with a snail!

Anyway, these were some interesting questions you raised, worthy of a
lifetime of research!!  Now we will see if the dust has been stirred a bit.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico (USA)