From:
Vivian S Kooken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:06:34 -0400
Hello,

My name is Vivian Kooken and I have just read through my first batch of
e-mails from the Conch-L listserv.  I can see already I will be learning
a lot!

I have a B.S. degree in Biology and currently work for a nonprofit
watershed organization.

I recently (within the past year) inherited a seashell (and fossil,
mineral, and meteorite) collection that was the passion of my
great-grandfather.  He lived from 1858-1934.  From what I understand, he
both purchased specimens and traveled to collect them.  At some point, he
constructed a special building on his property to house his collection.
Later, that building was broken into and the collection was vandalized.
An elderly man at that point, he was unable to fully reorganize the
collection.  The cabinet it was originally in is gone, but most of the
shells are still in their drawers.  After his death, the collection was
housed drawers stacked one on another.  My uncle, who housed the
collection for many years, has passed the collection on to me.  My first
task, I believe, is to get another cabinet for the shells--this leads me
to my first couple of questions!

1.  Do any of you know good sources for cabinetry for shell collections?
Are there any materials/constructions I should be wary of?

2.  Are there diseases of shells that speed their deterioration?  I have
noticed some white powder in some of the drawers.  If so, what are the
remedies?!

I am amazed by the meticulous records this man kept.  Most shells have a
small handwritten label with number, which corresponds to log he kept,
all handwritten beautifully.  I am sure I will thank him many times over
for that!

Thank you, in advance, for any information you pass my way on these basic
questions.  Hopefully, after time and work, I will learn enough to
participate in some of the more advanced discussions.
Regards,
Vivian