From:
Nancy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:27:04 -0400
Ross et al,

Good morning!   I have a few comments on your subject.

I think I've said this before, but dealers that I genuinely LIKE to buy
from, and go back to over and over, have taken the time to get to know me
and my collecting preferences...  such as what I like about shells in
general and what I like in certain species, what I would prefer when
chosing between several specimens in their inventory, etc.   This takes
time and effort on their part, and it's well and greatly appreciated.   No
advertising here as I'm not name dropping.  :)

Given the above, the specimens have to be reliably what the dealer says
they are.   If I ask for a Gem specimen, I know it's going to be gem,
period.   I really appreciate knowing that I'm going to receive the quality
of shell that I've requested.

Data that is as extensive as possible, neatly printed and LEGIBLE!  ;)

Having said all of this (and left out a great deal as well), knowledge and
friendliness probably tie somewhere above most all traits I
appreciate.    I don't really consider a shell dealer a business...  but to
me rather a very important resource for answers to those questions that
tick me off when I can't solve the mystery on my own, the mailer of
wonderful whorls of excitement when a package arrives for me and turns me
into a kid again, as well as my way of reaching parts of the world I cannot
immediately travel to.   Basically, it's that they are "shell people" and
not "dealers" if that makes any sense.   In my limited but growing
experience with shell folks, most are a generous, helpful and wonderfully
kind breed of person.   A 'dealer' CAN be just a business person, but a
true 'shell person' is a joy.

Enough ego boosting for all of you today!  It's Friday... well here it
is!  ;)

Have a great weekend everyone.
Best shelling always,
Nancy