From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:20:58 -0400
Welcome to CONCH-L Sharon,
Only a few days ago we were discussing eastern North American land snails.
You can probably locate those messages in the archives. If you know nothing
about land snails & if you think Abbott's Compendium is too technical, then
what you need is something that will teach you the basic terminology. I
recommend Burch & (Tim) Pearce's land snail chapter in the book called Soil
Biology (Guide?). I don't have my copy with me so I can't give you the full
citation. Maybe Tim-if he is not out collecting snails- can help you with
that. If you want to get serious about land snails, sooner or later you will
need Pilsbry's Land Mollusca of North America (vol. 1, part 2; vol. 2, parts
3 & 4). Until a few years ago they were still available from the Academy of
Natural Sciences in Philly ( www.acnatsci.org <http://www.acnatsci.org> ).
Although Pilsbry is slowly getting outdated (it was published in the 1940s),
it is still a "mandatory" book for the North American land snail collectors.

I collect in Maryland & elsewhere. I'll be glad to help you with your
questions, identifications. Just let me know.

Aydin