From:
Mike Schenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:43:56 -0700
Hello everyone on Conch-L! My wife and I are alive and well on the island of
Maui. It took me five months to get my computer over to Hawaii and back
online. My first computer showed up broken after six weeks on a boat
somewhere. Anyway, I've definitely missed reading all your informative
messages since May!

I'm working for a company that has six catamarans that sail to two local
islands out here. I am a scuba instructor on these boats, having a great
time away from the corporate world I left behind. It is much easier studying
molluscs in their natural environment here in Hawaii compared with Colorado
:)  I've found some interesting shells out here already and as soon as I get
a new list together, I will be trading again for anyone interested. Please
email me privately if you are.

If anyone has any info on a oyster shell (Pteria brunnea) regarding its
range and value, please let me know. I've met a black coral diver who is
bringing me these oysters from a depth of 250'. I don't have much info on
this shell at this time but am very curious if they occur in shallower
depths and anywhere else other than on black coral in Hawaii.

Has anyone had much luck with the list of shell collectors/traders I
compiled back in May? I was definitely excited to see the response I
received! I hope to post some interesting diving/shelling stories in the
near future. Well, that's all for now from Maui.

Best regards,

Mike Schenk