From:
"C. E. Pinkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:30:11 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, November 16, 2000 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: Common Names

>Many years ago, when I was actively exchanging shells with other
>collectors, a European collector wrote me (on paper!  no email back
>then!) and asked if I had any "turret shells" to trade.  I sent him a
>short list of the Turritellidae I had on hand.  A few weeks later I
>received a letter saying that he wasn't interested in Turritellidae, but
>in Turridae.  Later, a collector in Japan contacted me and asked for
>turret shells.  This time I took no chances, and sent him a list of my
>Turritellidae and Turridae.  Unfortunately "turret shell" to him meant
>Latiaxis.  And so it goes with common names.
>Paul M.

Hi...Just for kicks.....several years ago, when we had an active club
(National Capitol Shell Club) we named Neptunea decemcostata as our club
shell......One of our members came back from New England area where she got
some from local fishermen/crabmen or whatever....They called them
"Wrinkles".....
Mique Pinkerton