From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:32:47 -0800
Patty,

I am currently taking a course in Web Publishing and we
were just going over cypright. Here are some of the
sites that my teacher reccomended reading:

Web Law FAQ
        http://www.patents.com/Weblaw.sht
What constitutes a satisfactory copyright notice?
        http://www.patents.com/copyrigh.htm#notice
Cancopy: What is copyright?
        http://www.cancopy.com/copyright/index.html
CIPO-OPIC : Canadian Intellectual Property Office
        http://opic.gc.ca/

Very interesting stuff. Copyright is a very disputed
subject now that the Internet has grown and everybody
seems to be creating sites and copying from everybody
else.

I hope the sites are of use to you, they were an
eye-opener to me.

Peter Egerton

At 11:04 PM 11/25/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I have just read the material at the link that Andrew Rindsberg posted a
>week or so back at:
>http://ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu/~paleo/author's_manual.html#app3, in which it
>says that permission to reproduce (part of) a work need not be asked if
>published before 1906. I would like to know if anyone has an idea if this
>generally applies worldwide, and where I might be able to find more
>information on this.
>
>The reason I am asking is that I am about to acquire some originals and
>reproductions of 'real old' conchological literature, which I would love to
>put on CDROM and make available to the shell world. All of these are things
>published mid to late 19th century so well before this 1906 date, and the
>publishing companies no longer exist and i would expect copyright, if it
>ever existed, to have expired long ago. Am I right in this assumption? Does
>anyone know more than I do?
>
>Patty
>
>Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
>
>Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com
>

>Capricornica Publications/Books of Nature
>P.O. Box 345
>Lindfield NSW 2070
>Australia
>
>ABN 39 003 916 210
>
>phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
>mobile 0412 865030
>
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca, lifetime student
of zoology and computers.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes "Seashells of British Columbia", links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -This is an on-going project.
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)