From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:00:04 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers

In his recent email Andrew asked "What's the weirdest thing that you ever
saw growing on a LIVE mollusk?"  Taking a little poetic license, I will
tell you about the weirdest thing I ever saw a mollusk living on..

Three crepidulas were stacked on top of each other with the largest one on
the bottom - which is really not an unusual arrangement for
crediculas.   BUT the biggest one was fastened on a rather beat-up golf
ball which I found in a few feet of water under the n Blind Pass between
the islands of Sanibel and Captiva.

Several people that I have told that story to said "What's so unusual about
that? The Captiva Golf Course is not that far away."  That is true, but how
many of you have ever seen a mollusk living on a Golf Ball.  I will report
back to you how many positive responses I get.

Betty Jean, The Tall One