Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:40:02 -0400
Common shell names, Might we remember that common names serve many purposes.
When we started out on this folly many of us learned about shells from their
common names, lettered cone, the name fits as it does look like Chinese
writing. Common names also help by giving easy names to shells so beginners
can easily identify them . how many times have you stood there on the beach
and someone asks what is that in your hand . if you use a Latin name they
look at you as if your some biologist and they lose interest. but by using a
common name you can see how they associate and maybe at that point we have
recruited yet one more into the army of shelters. i believe that if it take
using common names to get beginners interested then so be it. When trying to
find common names for shells it help to convert the Latin to English ,
conus magus - magic cone,
mark