From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:26:03 -0400
Regarding the term expert I like the following definition

     An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he
or she knows everything about nothing.

Regarding scientific names versus common names look at the young
ones...they can rattle off names like Tyrannosaurus, Apatosaurus,
Stegosaurus, etc. etc.  Most of them do not use common names for
dinosaurs, or at least not the young children that I am exposed to.  Let
us not shy away from the proper scientific name, it is easier for me to
look up a reference to Cardiomya philippi (Seguenza, 1876) than some
common name that someone comes up with to describe this taxon.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine