From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:24:41 -0800
I did a scramble to find bubble packing in Thailand (available at the post
office in Phuket City) especially for the larger fragile shells. It might
have been better to have brought some along. Then having something rigid
outside like a plastic container is worthwhile as folks have been saying.

The bubble packing was the best thing I could think of for all the Murex
scolopax I got. (ID is a little uncertain; I think the Phuket Museum has it
as M. occa).

Bubble packing was also handy for Melo melo, tuns, and large bivalves. I did
JUST SAY NO to pen shells; there was just too much other desirable material.

Cleaning the shells as much as possible on the same or next day is better
than waiting for a few days since there is more of a stinky mess with ants
and flies to contend with. Rassling with maggots in hotel room sinks can
drain lots of your vacation time if you're  doing the delayed cleaning
option.

I got in the delayed mode partly because I didn't know Thai words to explain
to my guide that I had to clean what I'd already found. She wanted to take
me to the next shelling spot right away. Instead, I learned the words for
stink: Hoi Nao Men.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC