From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:05:09 -0700
>Dan,
>
>in reading about Japanese names, would I be right in assuming that gai at
>the end of the names is the part that means shell?
>
>It's great to see all of those translations,  I might even be lucky enough
>to use them,  I have a Japanese pen freind.
>
>Sher
>
>----------
>> From: Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: Common names from Latin genera -Reply
>> Date: Wednesday, 29 April 1998 14:49
>>
>> >Interesting thought Andrew - it brings up the question "what exactly
>> >constitutes a common name?"  Before I say anything else, let me say
>> >that my comments on common names will necessarily refer to english
>> >common names, because that is my mindset.  I do realize that the same
>> >shell I call a nutmeg or a jewelbox or an auger may have quite
>> >different names in German or Spanish or Japanese, and those names may
>> >or may not have any relevance to the english names.  In fact, it might
>> >be interesting to hear some of the common names which apply in other
>> >languages for species in some of the common families.  Anyway, in
>> >reading Andrew's post, it struck me that Nautilus is clearly a common
>> >name (in english), and is also a genus name.  There is no other common
>> >english name for the animals in this genus.  Likewise for Octopus.
>> >The names Unio, Chiton, and Murex are used similarly, though, unlike
>> >Nautilus, they are used to describe species in a number of related
>> >genera, not just the specific genus used as the name.  Some very old
>> >books may refer to Murex as rock shells, but that name is pretty
>> >nearly obsolete now as a general term.  In modern usage it applies
>> >only to the subfamily Thaidinae (Thais, Purpura, Nucella, etc.).  So,
>> >Murex, it seems, would qualify as an accepted common name.  On the
>> >other hand, I am not as sure that Pecten qualifies as a common name.
>> >Certainly a majority of collectors refer to members of the family
>> >Pectinidae as "Pectens".  But we also speak of cowries as "Cypraeas"
>> >and nutmegs as "Cancellarias".  Do Cypraea and Cancellaria qualify as
>> >common names?  If not, why Pecten?  After all, there is the english
>> >term "scallop" for the same group of animals.  Just offering a few
>> >ideas here for consideration - when does a genus name qualify as a
>> >common name?  Is it only when no other common name exists?  That
>> >probably is not a good definition, as there are many families of
>> >mollusks that have no common names at all, and by that definition
>> >names like Trochomorpha and Stiliger would become common names.
>> >Of course, there are many cases where the common name is a
>> >translation of the genus name, or is at least directly derived from
>> >it -  Nerite from Nerita; Olive from Oliva; Volute from Voluta; Cone
>> >from Conus; Miter from Mitra; Tellin from Tellina; etc.  But this is
>> >not quite the same as using the actual unadulterated genus name as
>> >the common name.

> [...]

Hi Sher,
        You are absolutely correct, "Gai" in Japanese(at the end of the
description is Shell.  "Kai" is the general word for a shell (in the
dictionary).  There are some nice Japanese books for non-scientists that
have common names.
        Good luck with your Japanese Pen Friend
Dan

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto