From:
Amanda Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:05:06 -0400
They are not fossils. They are most likely calcareous concretions from  what
biostratigraphers call "sedimentary condensed sections"; I have been able to
see these usually giant concretions embedded in  dark shales in most
geologic sections of  the Cretacic/ Tertiary age boundary in Eastern
Venezuela where geologic correlations to find oil reservoirs are usually
done; the shales - and not the concretions- usually contain a lot of deep
water fossil remains, such as forams, nanoplankton and mollusks, sometimes
it is possible to find large, flat inoceramids which are bioindicators for
age  and basin depth correlation of the stratigraphic unit.
Cheers,
Amanda Diaz