From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 08:13:49 +1000
Dear Bob and Betty,
Your difficulty in reading a German web page is a thing of the past - I also
took French at school - but fortunately Alta Vista have come to our rescue
with their on-line translation service. Presently, this FREE service offers
translation of French, German, Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese to English
AND English to French, German, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese - so you can
share YOUR web site with non-English speaking web-surfers.
FOREIGN LANGUAGUE TRANSLATION
To read the German web site you referred to, all you have to do is simply
enter any of the text, OR the URL (in this case
http://www.netwing.at/nisters/) you want to translate, into the entry box
provided at their site:

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate

and the rest is automatic !   One more thing. You have to select the
languages you want translated from/to (in this case German to English) in
the drop-down Select entry field. Then press the "Translate" button. Any
links are also translated for the recipient. The results are truly
impressive, though not perfect. There is still room for the professional
translators, thank goodness.

TEXT TO SPEECH CONVERSION
If you want text to speech conversion, take the text of your translated
article and paste it into the entry box of the Bell Laboratories Text to
Speech project (http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/) where you have a
choice of hearing it spoken through your computer speakers in American
English, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish or French !!  For example, you
can hear it spoken in "American English" at URL

http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/voices.html

You can even select the "voice" you want to hear speaking the speech. The
choice is :
Man, Woman, Child, Gnat, Coffee Drinker, Big Man, Raspy, and "Ridiculous".

Now I am beginning to worry about the long-term career prospects for
translators. Fortunately they have not yet simulated "Australian" so I may
remain useful :)

Enjoy.

Bruce Livett

At 22:44 29/04/98 -0700, Betty and Bob Lipe wrote:
>helmut nisters wrote:
>>
>> Dear shell-friends,
>>
>> Please visit my homepage, that the counter is growing up.
>>
>> thanks yours Helmut
>>
>> http://www.netwing.at/nisters/
>
>I took French in High school Helmut, sorry. No comprehend.
>--
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>Bob & Betty Lipe mailto:[log in to unmask]
>The Shell Store: http://theshellstore.com

-
Bruce, Dianne, Andrew and Erica LIVETT
48 Nicholas Street
Ashburton
VICTORIA 3147
AUSTRALIA
Telephone at home : +61-3-9885-2947
Work: +61-3-9344-5911 Fax: +61-3-9347-7730
Email: [log in to unmask]
See you at the Heron Island Conference "From venoms to drugs' August 16-21,
1998.  For details check our site at
http://www.uq.edu.au/~ddjgehrm/venomweb/index.html